Saturday, October 1, 2011

When The Seed Was Planted

An obvious question to ask is: why Haiti? When one chooses to go on a mission trip, how does he/she decide where to go? In my case, the seed to have a desire to go to Haiti was planted in 2007. At the time, I was a nursing mother of my then little Moriah. Being such, I was especially sad to read in the news about a nursing Haitian mother having to eat dirt cookies for her sustenance. The cookies have absolutely no nutritional value and they do very little to satisfy hunger, but for some Haitians, that is all there is. And for some, selling the dirt cookies helps provide somewhat of an income - a very meager one.

I often read heart wrenching news stories, but that particular story about Haiti, on that particular day, never left my heart and I began to think and pray for Haiti and its people on a regular basis. This even trickled down to two of our children who were old enough to pray at the time. When we would ask them to pray, they would often sweetly pray for "the people in Haiti."

I knew I had a desire to go to Haiti at some point in my life, but figured it would not be until the children were grown. However, various trials along with my husband's encouragement pushed me in the direction to take a short-term trip at this point in my life and I'm so glad I had the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment