Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Finding Joy In A Third World Country?


Despite the hopelessness and sadness in much of Haiti, I honestly have never felt so much joy and abundant life. The trip was emotionally exhausting in many ways, but I also felt so much warmth exuding from Smith, Katia, Dan of FMI (picture at the left), the children and from the sweet fellowship with my teammates. I can't even begin to describe what special people I had the privilege of meeting on the trip.

Smith and Katia have been through much hardship and yet are two of the most jovial and calm people I have ever met! I am unsure of what all I can share of the horrible things they have endured, but trust me when I say you would be surprised at their sweet demeanor despite it all! The love and peace of Jesus just overflowed out of them.

The picture below shows just one of many moments of fun and joy shared among our team. I was not up early enough to catch a sunrise so I confess I did not take this amazing picture, but it just captures the overall mood of many moments on the trip for me. Many tears were shed, but I also had some hearty laughs and smiled more than I have in a long time.


I had often heard stories about how you think you go on a trip like this to bless others, but in reality, you are blessed. I have now experienced that phenomenon in a major way. Those children brought us so much happiness and made me feel extremely blessed to have the opportunity to spend time with them. Before we left, many of the children gave us special gifts they had made or some even gave us their own special things. It was so touching to see them give us what little bit they had! I think best of all were their smiles and hugs! See some of their beautiful smiles below - Click on the slideshow to see a larger version of the pictures with captions (a new window will open).

No comments:

Post a Comment